Welcome to Creative Lives, a treasure trove of intimate conversations, original articles, all-inclusive reviews, inspirational case studies and cultural understanding drawing on the professional practice of Australia’s diverse creative and artistic talent. The individuals and organisations featured are creating an impact across filmmaking and TV, visual arts, music, performance, literature, and multimedia.
In 2021, Diversity Arts commissioned five content producers—Tanya Ali, Deniz Agraz, Hawanatu Bangura, Simone Amelia Jordan and Suzy Wrong—to interview 25 culturally diverse creatives about dealing with the changing landscape emerging from the coronavirus pandemic. These talks shed light on how creators have developed resilience, preserved their ingenuity and defied pressure, with personal insight into how COVID-19 profoundly shook up the arts ecosystem in Australia. As Egyptian-Australian performer Mariam Sawires shares in her profile, “The future is uncertain and currently fragile. However, artists are powerful people.”
- Suzy Wrong interviews Shauntelle Benjamin, Lisa Fa’alafi, Eugyeene Teh, Catherine Van-Davies and Darren Yap.
- Simone Amelia Jordan interviews Hoodzy, Hooks, Joe Nemer, Milly Petriella and Mariam Sawires.
- Deniz Agraz interviews Avan Anwar, Yolla Baker, Vivian Nguyen, Hangama Obaidullah, Christian Bong Ramilo and Doug Williams.
- Tanya Ali interviews A.Girl, Allara, GLO, Strict Face and Natesha Somasundaram.
- Hawanatu Bangura interviews Richmond Kobla Dido, Evelyn Duprai, Abu Kebe and Lucky Lartey.
Explore the stories
Dive into the Creative Lives During COVID series
Supported by Create NSW’s Rescue and Restart funding