In response to COVID-19 racism, Diversity Arts Australia has commissioned new developments by 68 Asian artists from all creative practice areas, including visual artists, writing, poetry, performance, screen, audio-visual, music, illustrations, and more.
With our partner 4A, we have held the first project exhibition and several events as part of the Acute Actions: responses to I am Not a Virus exhibition (Part 1).
Acute Actions Part 2 opens on Thursday 3 June 2021 and runs until Sunday 4 July 2021. Updates and exhibition information about Acute Actions can be found here.
An additional 20 new works in development will be released in June 2021. Keep up to date with past and upcoming events through the section below:
News and updates
- (UPCOMING) September 2021 Reclaiming Narratives: Melbourne artists respond to I Am Not A Virus opens at Melbourne Fringe Festival
- July 2021 Rituals of Resistance: Inner West Artists’ response to I Am Not A Virus opens.
- July 2021 Off The Page: Design, illustration and authorship in contemporary comics (Acute Actions Closing) for Acute Actions: Responses to I Am Not a Virus (Part 2)
- June 2021 Acute Actions: responses to I am Not a Virus exhibition (Part 2) opens.
- May 2021 Panel x Performance // Let’s unpack acute acts (event) for Acute Actions: Responses to I Am Not a Virus (Part 1)
- May 2021 Art, craft, collective solidarity and fandom culture: Sophia Cai (event) for Acute Actions: Responses to I Am Not a Virus (Part 1)
- 2021 Final Slate of Artists Announced for I Am Not a Virus
- 2021 Call-out for Inner-West Sydney based artists. Applications close 15 February 2021
- 2020 Announcement of selected artists for Round 1 national call-out.
As part of I Am Not A Virus, Diversity Arts partnered with Asian-Australian literary magazine Peril to commission writing that challenged the xenophobia of the pandemic with powerful counter-narratives and heartfelt truths.
Peril’s special edition features ten written works by Eunice Andrada, Priyanka Bromhead, Matcho Cassidy, Tina Huang, Kelly Huynh, Eric Jiang, Christine Lai, Jacqueline Mohr, Huyen Hac Helen Tran and Tien Tran.
Sneak preview of some works:
qi – Amy Zhang + Maggz
Operation Kung Flu – Maria Tran
Laksa – Joe Lui & Deborah Ong
I AM NOT A VIRUS AUSTRALIA
Learn more at our newly launched website:
This project is led by Diversity Arts Australia and is a partnership with Asian Australian Alliance, Democracy in Colour, 4A Centre for Contemporary Asian Art with funding from Australia Council for the Arts, Create NSW, City of Sydney, City of Parramatta and Inner West Council.